How to write a Letter in English
To download and print this free English phrases list, click here.
Feel free to leave a comment if you find any errors or if you have any suggestions to make to improve this lesson.
In this lesson you will learn to write a letter in English, with the polite formulas to put in a letter in English.
This course may be useful for you to write a personal or professional letter.
How to start a letter in English
If you do not know the name of the person to whom you are writing:
Dear Sir, Dear Madam, => We don’t know if the person who will receive the letter is a man or a woman, so we put both.
If you know the name of the person:
- Dear Mr Smith, (if it’s a man)
- Dear Mrs Smith,
- (if it’s a woman)
- Dear Miss
- Smith,(if it’s a young unmarried woman)
Note: If you hesitate between Mrs and Miss, indicate Ms Jones.
If you know the person to whom you are writing personally:
How to write a letter in English: useful expressions
- Thank you for your letter of May 28th.
- With reference to your inquiry of 1st August,
- Could you possibly… ?
- I would be grateful if you could …
- Please find enclosed…
How to end a letter in English:
If you don’t know the person you’re writing to:
- Yours faithfully, / Yours sincerely, (followed by your signature)
If you know the person (at work):
- Best regards, / Best wishes, (followed by your signature)
If you know the person very well (friends, family…):
- Looking forward to hearing from you.
- Looking forward to seeing you.