Present simple or Present continuous lesson pdf
Feel free to leave a comment if you find any errors or if you have any suggestions to make to improve this lesson.
You have seen in the first two lessons the simple present and the continuous present (or Be+ing present). But how to distinguish them? Which one to use in which situation? I go or I am going?
We use the simple present for things that happen in general and not really in time, or that happen frequently or permanently:
- It rains a lot in autumn.
- They learn mathematics in college.
- He works in a factory.
- My brother lives in Spain.
- He usually eats pizzas at the restaurant.
- She sleeps late at night.
BUT we use the continuous present (be+ing) to talk about something that is happening around the moment we are talking and that is not yet finished, but also to talk about temporary situations:
- It’s raining a lot this afternoon.
- I am learning french now.
- He is working late today.
- My brother is living in Spain until next month.
- He is eating a pizza for lunch.
- She’s sleeping in the living room.
Note: there are verbs that are not normally conjugated to the continuous present tense (no be+ing here) !
love / like / hate / understand / need /believe / want / prefer / contain / mean / suppose / consist / seem / belong / know / remember / see / hear / smell / taste / guess / agree
- He always wants to eat sandwiches. (NOT ‘He’s always wanting to eat sandwiches’)
- What do you need ? (NOT ‘What are you needing ?’)
- The room smells bad. (NOT ‘The room is smelling bad’)
- They like this movie. (NOT ‘They are liking this movie’)
- She understand spanish very well. (NOT ‘She is understanding spanish very well’)
- He seems very happy. (NOT ‘He is seeming very happy’)
- This cake tastes really good. (NOT ‘This cake is tasting really good’)
There are some exceptions like think…
- I’m thinking.
- I think it’s very bad.
… but also feel and look, only with -ing as we speak:
- How do you feel now ? OR How are you feeling now?
- You look good tonight ! OR You’re looking good tonight!